Milk Ice Blocks
Milk ice blocks are very popular in Fiji. As kids, we would often buy an ice block from the corner store on our walk back home from school.
Part of my primary school was at Arya Kanya Partshala. The walk to school and back home was quite long, perhaps 2 kms each way. It wasn’t so bad in the mornings, sometimes we would get dropped off, other times we walked and besides the morning sun is forgiving. But, each afternoon, my younger aunt would wait for me outside the gate and we would walk home, most of the me lagging behind, trying not to cramp my aunt or her friends style. Each afternoon though, it would be hot on the walk home, the tropical afternoon sun can be harsh.
These milky ice blocks weren’t an everyday treat but were perfect to keep us cool and nourished on the occasions we did.
They melt very quickly so be quick eating these gorgeous, milky blocks of ice.
ENJOY ON A HOT SUMMERS DAY
- 2 lts water
- Powdered milk
- 1/4 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp Punjas raspberry icicle flavour
- Mix water and powdered milk according to instructions on the packet.
- Dissolve sugar and taste for sweetness. Adjust accordingly.
- Mix through the icicle flavour and stir well until combined.
- Pour into popsicle moulds and freeze.