Kadhi (pronounced kadd hee) comes in various forms. This recipe comes from Gujrati and is quite a popular dish. What I love about this is how easy it is make, unlike the North Indian kadhi, which is a labour of love.
This is an easy gluten free recipe which would also be delicious as soup, eaten with a side serve of garlic naan.
- 2 cups yoghurt
- 4 Tbs besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 Tbs ginger paste
- 2 green chillies, halved
- ½ tspn turmeric
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs coriander, chopped
Tardka / Tempering
- 1 Tbs ghee
- ½ tspn black mustard seeds
- ½ tspn cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2-3 dried red chillies (whole)
- Place yoghurt,besan, ginger paste and turmeric in mixing bowl and mix for 10 sec/speed 5.
- Add water and mix for a further 10 sec/speed 5.
- Next, add the sliced chillies and cook for 15mins/100°C /speed 2.
- Add the tempered spices, salt to taste and cook for a further 15mins/100°C/speed2.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice or kichadi and pappadums.
- Heat ghee in a small frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seed, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When the spices start popping, add the dried chillies.
- The chillies shoulds well and Take off the heat and pour immediately over the kadhi, being careful of any splatters. Then follow through with the recipe.