Besan Ki Burfi
Besan Ki Burfi or Maghaj is an Indian gluten free fudge. Served on special occasions such as Diwali or Bhaidooj (day afer Diwali), Maghaj is a simple and easy sweet to make, provided you stay patient. The trick and an essential step to making Mahaj is slowly roasting the besan on low heat, taking care not to burn the besan. This can take up to ½ hour…. Do not hurry this step otherwise you will get the raw taste of besan, spoiling the taste.
It is for this reason, I prefer to make Maghaj in a thermomix…. Once you set the temperature and the time, simply sit down and enjoy a much needed cup of chai, until the thermomix prompts you for the next step.
Besan Ki Burfi - Thermomix version
- Thermomix - TM31, TM5, TM6
- 100 g Almonds
- 300 g Laddoo Besan
- 2 tbs powdered milk
- 200 g ghee
- 3 tspn cardamom (skin removed)
- 1 tspn raw sugar
- 395 g condensed milk
- 3 tbs pistachio, chopped
- silver leaf for garnish (optional)
- Grease and line a slice tin with baking paper, set aside.
- Place almonds into mixing bowl, mill 10sec/speed7. Transfer to a bowl and set aside
- Place cardamom seeds and raw sugar into the mixing bowl, mill 15sec/speed8. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the laddoo besan into the mixing bowl and roast for 8 min/Varoma/speed 2.
- Scrape down the sides of mixing bowl with a spatula and roast a further 8 min/Varoma/ reverse) /speed 2
- Add 100g of ghee and mix 20sec/speed 7, then roast 20mins/Varoma/speec2
- Add milled almonds, powdered milk and remaining 100g ghee and cook for 15min/Varoma/speed1.
- Blend 30sec/ increasing speed gradually from speed 4-9
- Add the cardamom and condensed milk, mix 30 sec/speed 3. Transfer in prepared slice tin, sprinkle the chopped pistachios and press down with a spatula to smooth the top. Place silver leaf randomly over the top if using.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until set, (approx. 4hrs). Remove from the fridge, cut into squares and serve.