Sooji Dhokla – Steamed Semolina Savory Cake
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1 cup yoghurt
- ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 inch piece ginger (chopped)
- 2 tspn lemon juice
- green chilli (chopped)
- ¼ bunch coriander (chopped)
- 1 tspn Eno (fruit salt)
- 1 Lt water
- 2 Tbs oil
- ½ tspn black mustard seed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 green chilli (halved)
- 1 tepn sesame seeds
- Place, chillies, ginge rand coriander in the mixing bowl, mince 3 sec/speed 9.
- crape down the side of the bowl and lid and mince again 3 sec/speed9.
- Add semolina, yoghurt, water, lemon juice and salt to the mixing bowl and mix 15 sec/speed 4.
- Rest the mixture in the mixing bowl for 20mins.
- Meanwhile, line the bottom of a 20cm springform cake tin; and grease the sides.
- After 20mins, add the Eno(fruit salt) to the mixture, give it a quick mix with a spatula and pour into the greased cake tin.
- Give the mixing bowl a quick rinse then add 1 lt of water to mixing bowl. Place Varoma dish into position. Place a metal rack in the Varoma and then sit the cake tin on top of the metal rack. Place 2 layers of paper towel to cover the Varoma then cover and steam 20min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Remove Varoma lid, discard the paper towels and allow the dhokla to rest for 5 mins while you prepare the tempering.
- Pour the tempered spice mixture over the steamed dhokla. Cut into wedges or diamond shape and serve at room temperature with green chutney.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds & curry leaves to the hot oil.
- When the seeds pop, add the sesame seeds & chilli
- Toast for a few seconds and pour over the dhokla.