Karela (bitter melon) Chutney- Anjnish Prasad
Karela (bitter melon) Chutney.
Probably when I was in Year 6 (primary school); My mother (amma) would make a kitchen roster for us 3 sisters to cook at least once a week.
I learnt this recipe from amma.
When I was a little girl and amma made this, I never enjoyed it because it was too bitter. I didn’t have appreciation of this chutney until I grew older. In Fiji, karela was easily available; only when I started living in Australia that I realised what I am missing, especially ripe karela. Now, I say it is absolutely delicious and healthy!
- Ripe karela (bitter melon)
- oriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Onion (finely chopped)
- Lemon (just a squeeze)
- Put ripe karela in the microwave for 3 minutes to make it soft so that it can be easily mashed. Optional: if put it in the oven instead for a few minutes it will taste even better.
- Once out of the oven, mash it.
- Crush garlic and chilies and add to the karela.
- Add finely chopped onion and coriander leaves.
- Squeeze a little bit of lemon over it, add salt and mix the chutney well.