Garlicy Cheesy Puri
- 225 g chapati flour
- 1 bunch garlic chives
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup grated paneer
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tspn ajwain
- 4 Tbs semolina
- 25 gm ghee
- ½ tspn salt
- 125 gm warm water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash garlic chives and cut into 1 cm pieces. Place chopped garlic chives and garlic into mixing bowl. Chop 10sec/speed 10
- Place flour, ghee, salt, semolina, ajwain, paneer and cheddar in the mixing bowl. With measuring cup on, mix 10 sec / speed 4.
- Remove MC, reduce to speed 2. Slowly add water through the hole in mixing bowl lid and keep mixing until dough comes together.
- Insert MC and knead on dough mode for 3mins.
- Tip dough into a bowl, cover and rest for at least 30mins.
- Divide dough into 2. Keep one half of the dough covered, using your hands roll out the other like a long sausage. Divide into 10equal pieces. Repeat the process other half so that you have 20 equal pieces.
- Shape each of the 20 pieces into balls, flatten then roll out into 10cm round discs. Continue until all the dough balls are rolled out.
- In a wok, heat enough oil for deep frying. Break a small piece of dough and add to the oil, if the dough sizzles and gets a bit of colour, it is ready.
- Lower 1 puri at a time into the hot oil. Using a slotted spoon, lightly press and movepuri around in circles to help it puff up. Flip puffed puri and fry on the other side for about 30secs.
- Using the same slotted spoon, lift the puri from the oil,allowing any excess oil to drip back into the wok. Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot and puffy with your favourite curry.
Options: Add green chillies for a spicy version Add freshly ground peppercorns