This recipe breaks all the rules of a “traditional” uttapam. I find it doesn’t compromise the taste and it makes it so easy to prepare
Here’s how this recipe breaks the rules:
- It’s unfermented. This makes it quicker and easier compared to the more traditional version of soaking, grinding then fermenting the batter which usually can take up to 3 days.
- The vegetables are added to the batter rather than added to the top of the uttapam during the cooking process.
- The uttapam is flipped and cooked on both sides rather than on one side.
- 1 cup short grain rice (washedand soaked for minimum 4 hours)
- ¼ cup yoghurt + ¼ cup yoghurt
- Strained rice water
- ¼ frozen peas
- 1 carrot - grated
- 1 boiled potato - grated
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 1 tspn chilli flakes
- 1 Tbs cornflour
- 1 tspn oil+ oil to cook
- 1 tspn bakingsoda
- Salt to taste
Grating carrot in Thermomix
- Cut washed (or peeled carrot) into 2inch pieces.
- Place carrots in the mixing bowl and grate 5 sec/speed 5.
Grating potato in Thermomix:
- Par boil a potato. Cut into 2inch cubes.
- Place potato cubes in the mixing bowl and grate 5 sec/speed 5.
- Strain rice, (reserving some of the liquid) and place in mixing bowl. Add ¼ cup yoghurt and ¼ cup strained, reserved rice water. Blend 1min/speed 10.
- Add ¼ cup yoghurt, peas,grated carrot, grated potato, chopped coriander, chopped curry leaves, chilli flakes, cornflour, baking soda, salt and 1 teaspoon oil to ground rice mixture in the mixing bowl and blend 30sec/speed
- Add a little more soaking water if necessary to bring it to the consistency of thick pancake batter and repeat blend 30 sec/speed 5.
- Heat a crepe pan (or frying pan or gridle) on medium heat. Grease the pan and add a ladle full of mixture and spread it on the pan like a pancake. Cook for approx 3mins, until small bubbles start to appear on the surface and bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook for a further 2-3 mins until golden brown.
- Serve hot with green chutney (and or with sambhar)
Optional Vegetables: Diced onions, green chilli, capsicum, zucchini.