Chef Lawrence's Khaja
Chef in Sheraton & Westin Resorts
- 1 & 1/2 Cup Maida /
- All Purpose Flour
- Salt a pinch
- 2 Teaspoons Ghee
- 2 Tablespoons Rava / Sooji
- Water to knead the dough
For the Paste:
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 & 1/4th Cup Sugar
For the Paste:
- 2 Teaspoons Maida/ All Purpose Flour
- 4 Teaspoons Ghee
Extra Maida for dusting:
- Oil / ghee to deep fry
- First,in a mixing bowl,add all the ingredients mentioned to make dough.
- Slowly add the water and make a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for 5 Minutes.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap or damp cloth.
- Let this dough rest for 1 hour.
Again knead it for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl,mix the maida and ghee and make a smooth paste.
- On the kitchen counter,sprinkle little flour.
- Pinch a dough ball and roll it thin on the counter.
- Make 3 thin roti like this.
- Apply this maida and ghee mixture on first roti.
- Keep the second on top of this.
- Apply the maida mixture again.
- Keep the third roti on top.
- Roll this into a log.
- I made 6 roti out of this dough and 2 logs.
- Now with a knife cut the log diagonally.
- Now take each piece and press it lightly on your palm.
- Heat oil/ ghee.
- When its hot,deep fry all the khaja on low flame till golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on a kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile make the sugar syrup.
- In a sauce pan,add the water and sugar and let it boil.
- After first boil,reduce the flame to low .
- Keep it on low flame entire process when you make the khaja and fry them.
- The sugar syrup should be thick and warm.
- After frying immediately drop the khaja in sugar syrup and let it soak in warm syrup for 5 minutes.
- Drain these and arrange on plate.
- Once cooled,enjoy these crispy khaja!