Butter Chicken - Thermomix Version
- 800 g boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 11/2 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 2 tspn Fiji garam masala
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn chili powder
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 green cardamom
- 11/2 tbs garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs ginger, minced
- 2 Tbs Fiji masala
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tspn red chili powder
- 2 Tbs water
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of cream
- 11/2 Tbs honey
- Combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade; mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On high heat grill chicken until the edges have charred slightly. Set aside.
- Place butter, oil, onions and a pinch of salt in the mixing bowl. Cook 6 mins/100deg/speed 1 without measuring cup
- Scrape down the sides, add garlic, ginger and cardamom and cook for a further 4mins / 100deg/ speed 1 without measuring cup.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Cook on 10mins/100deg/stirring speed, with simmering basket over the lid.
- Blend 30sec/speed 4-8,increasing the speed gradually.
- Using a large sieve, strain the tomato puree, using the back of a spoon to push as much of the puree through. Discard any solids.
- Add the strained sauce back into the mixing bowl. Pour the cream, add honey and the chicken with any juices back into the pan and cook for an additional 8mins/70deg/reverse/speed1until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling. Taste and adjust salt and honey as desired.
serve with rice or any flat bread Hint: Substitute cream with evaporated milk for a lighter, healthier version. To make a vegetarian version, substitute the chicken with mushrooms. Use any leftovers as a pie filling. Optional: Add ½ tspn of kasoori methi You can buy Fiji masala and Fiji garam masala from: www.talesofindia.com.au